Sunday, March 13, 2016

Screencast-o-matic - Communication Tool Evaluation

Summary



Screencast-o-matic is a video/audio recording tool that allows you to create 15-minute recordings of your voice and whatever is on your computer screen, with the option of having you in picture-in-picture.  You can demonstrate how to navigate a website, introduce an activity,  or discuss any document you have open on your computer screen.  At the moment I have only used Screencast-o-matic to record myself reading tests as an accommodation for students whose reading abilities could hinder their progress in mathematics.  This program will benefit me even more if I use it to introduce projects or to explain activities while I’m away from my classroom.  Students can use the program to create video/audio recordings of presentations, or provide verbal responses to tests when spelling and grammar make it difficult to express themselves.  This is not a fancy tool but a helpful tool.



Rating
Rubric Statement
Comments
Efficiency
(teacher)
3
Teacher can use it consistently throughout the year.
I use it weekly!
User Friendly (teacher)
3
Walks you through the setup or tutorials and quick and easy.
Cost
2
Some options are free or price is minimal.
Pro is $15/ year but I can get by on the free stuff.
Validity
3
High educational value
It levels the playing field for students with some disabilities.
Safety
3
Privacy options
Videos are shared by the teacher or posted on YouTube.
DOK (Depth of Knowledge)
N/A
Monitoring Capability
N/A
Permission (school)
3
Permitted

Student Use
3
Students would be lost without it!
Those with special language needs.
User Friendly (student)
3
Students can quickly access content or desired tasks from home screen or search bar.
I can send it via e-mail  to the student or I could post it on my website.
Student Engagement
3
Kids love it!
They love the independence it provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment