Sunday, June 19, 2016

Google Classroom Evaluation Using Communication Rubric

Google Classroom is one of the best ways to manage classroom communication and workflow that I have seen.  First of all, it is FREE!  Second of all, it does almost everything teachers need it to do, aside from provide the content to be taught.  I loved that I could set up "classes" for small groups or individual students so that I could easily personalize learning.  At the same time, I could set up a class for my entire class for general assignments.  Now, I think there is a feature that lets the teacher select who the assignment should go to, which eliminates the extra step of setting up individual classes.  Teachers can assign work, collect work, see how many students have turned in an assignment in real time, and ALL of this can be done without lugging a bag full of papers home to grade.  Assignments can be given right in Classroom with no attached "worksheets", or "worksheets" in the form of Google Docs can be attached for students to respond on.  There is a classroom conversation stream so that members can converse and answer their own questions without needing the teacher.  Links to web content, YouTube videos, and documents can be posted and assigned.  I appreciated that for younger grades, I could show a code that students could use to join since I couldn't invite them by email since they didn't have it.  I know there are classroom workflow systems that provide the content, but I love that this is free, AND I love that I can assign whatever I please.

**Rubric created in collaboration with Tricia Bursey and James Hoisington.  Evaluation of Google Classroom using the rubric is my own thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment