Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The beginning of my communication tools! -Tool #1- Heidi Waterhouse


In starting the research for my communication tools, I decided to choose tools I have already started reading about and am really interested in pursuing.


For my first tool, I decided to choose Mobymax. I decided to start off with this program because it is one that I have been implementing for over a year with my students. Below is a copy of the evaluation tool and this is how I rated it for this program:
*Student Engagement: Since my students have been with me for two years, in the beginning it was a 4 the students were highly motivated to get started on it. They were ready and willing to get started and it kept their interest. As time went on, it has dropped down to a 3. The students are still willing to participate in Mobymax, but it has not shown as much interest to them lately.
*Accessibility/relevance: For this communication tool, I would give it a 3. Mobymax can be used for math, reading, writing and other language skills. So it can be used across content areas, however it does not hold student engagement as well as it could.
*Capabilities/customization- I do not have the paid version of Mobymax, only the free version currently. I think with the paid version it is closer to a 4. However, with the free version it would be a 2.  It lacks the ability to customize to the student from what I have experienced. I haven't been able to dive completely into it though.
*Safety: This would be a 4. Each student has their own login and there is information available within the class roster. Again I believe there is more information within the paid version.
*Thinking Skills: This would be between a 3 and 4. Mobymax gives the students opportunities to use critical thinking skills.
Overall, I would recommend this product to any teacher out there. I do not have the experience with the paid version to be able to say specifically how well it is made, but the free version has served my classroom well. I encourage you to give it a try!


Elementary Evaluation Tool
1
page1image3472
2
page1image5632
3
page1image7040
4
page1image8272
Notes:
page1image10424
page1image10712
Qualities:
Student Engagement
Avoids app
Uses app but does not make connections to prior learning.
Uses app when directed.
Highly Motivated to use the app.
Accessibility/ Relevance
Not able to use for multiple purposes
Limited availability to use across contents
Purposeful and appropriate across content areas
Engaging across all content areas
Capabilities/ Customization
No access to camera, video, microphone and other libraries.
Limited use of settings to meet student’s need.
Flexible settings to models strategies, ability to create, structure, or build 
Interactive and the ability to change content settings to model strategies and ability to create and build.
Safety
No private access availability
Class Login with personal password
Individual Log in & password.
Individual Log in & password with data available within class roster
Thinking Skills
Limited use of lower order thinking skills.
Mostly lower order thinking skills to understand and remember.
Use of higher
order thinking skills including evaluating, analyzing and applying.
Use of higher
order thinking skills including creating, evaluating and analyzing.

No comments:

Post a Comment