Saturday, November 29, 2014

Heidi Waterhouse - tool #5- Twitter


Before I started my masters program, I never gave Twitter the time of day. i thought oh that is way too confusing, or why would I use it? However, now that I have been using it for a few months I have changed my mind. Twitter has so much to offer, I don't even know where to start. I am excited to start using it in my classroom, but still working on how I want to.

Features:
-Short messaging that allows students to get right to the point
-The ability to message authors/illustrators, many other different people
-The background can be changed (My students love this kind of thing)

This is how I scored Twitter on my rubric:
*Student Engagement- I have not been able to try it with my students yet, but this would be a 4. My students love new technology, and therefore the engagement starts at a 4. I think it would stay at a 4 because it is a type of social media and my students love social media.

*Accessibility/Relevance: This would be a 4 as well. It can be used through all content areas. There are so many ideas/people etc on Twitter, you could use it for anything. It can be used for almost any topic you could think of.

*Capabilities/Customization- This would be a 3/4. Twitter has many different ways you can research and look at all kinds of programs, books, authors, illustrators etc.  However you cannot really build things off of this per say.

*Safety- This would be a 3. Twitter has individual logins/passwords. There is no way to see a roster like you can with other websites. That is what has stopped me from getting going with twitter. It seems like it can be wide open. If others have secrets on how to make it student friendly, I am open to ideas!

*Thinking Skills: It would definitely be a 4. It takes higher order thinking skills to be able to navigate around the website. It also takes higher order thinking skills to be able to message in the number allowed. With my students, I would have them pre-plan what they are going to write before they actually write it.


This is the rubric I used: Rubric

I am open to ideas and suggestions on the easiest way to get elementary school kids onto twitter and how to use it with them. Have you tried it? Was it successful?

No comments:

Post a Comment