Saturday, November 29, 2014

Heidi Waterhouse Tool #6 - Wordpress


I hadn't heard of Wordpress before my district started using it. Just over a year ago (maybe more? I can't remember), our workshop days started talking about website making. At first it was an overwhelming process to get going, but once I was logged on it was very easy to navigate. If you visit it, you will notice it has been awhile since I have updated it unfortunately.

Features:
-Many different styles/colors to make your website your own
-Easy ways to add a blog/ways to communicate with parents/staff

This is how I scored Wordpress on my rubric:
*Student Engagement: I would give this a 2/3. Again it depends on what the teacher has on their website. For mine, the students would be a 3 because they use the links I put on there when they have free time. It is engaging because they are getting to play games most of the time.

*Accessibility/Relevance: This would be a 4 for both the student and teacher perspective. The teacher can put things across all content areas on their website. Some use it for homework/projects others use it for field trips etc. It works because the students can access all content areas off the website from whatever the teacher chooses to put on it.

*Capabilities/Customization- Again it depends on which point of view you are looking at it from. For the teacher who is creating the website, I would give it a 4. There are so many different ways you can set up your website. It is very evident just by all of the staff in my building and how they set up their own sites. For the students it would be a 2. It's very minimal for the user who is just looking around the website that was created.

*Safety- This would be a 3. I would use this tool the way I do now and it wouldn't necessarily be for students to produce their own sites, but a place for them to access from home. The students can access my website just by knowing the address, so it would be a 3.

*Thinking Skills: For my students this is a 2. All they need to know how to do is to be able to log onto the website and look around it. For teachers using this website, at first it would be a 4 because it is higher order thinking skills to get started, but then it goes to 3/4.


This is the rubric I used: Rubric


This is my website! Ms. Waterhouse's class Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment