Saturday, November 29, 2014

Heidi Waterhouse - Tool #4 - MangaHigh


I was first introduced to Mangahigh through this class. I decided to give it a try a couple weeks ago in my classroom. The students love it! I have not been using it long enough to really discover its full potential. The students love the messaging feature, as well as the ability to change their picture. The actual math games/challenges seem to fit just right with my students ability levels.

Features:
-Colorful ways to change characters
-messaging back and forth between teacher/students
-easy to read math problems

How I scored Mangahigh on my rubric:
*Student engagement- This would be a 4. The students love it! It is extremely engaging. From the actual math concepts to just playing around with new characters, it is very enticing for my students. In fact they ask to use it more.

*Accessibility/Relevance- This would be a 2. This website is mainly designed for math from what I can see. It really cannot be used across content areas.

*Capabilities/Customization- This would be a 3. It appears that the website adjusted itself to fit my students needs. Again I have not had a chance to really play around with this website with my students for sure, but for start it would be a 3.

*Safety- This would be a 4. All students have their own logins and the teacher can access their roster through their login. They can keep track of student progress to make sure the students are doing what they are supposed to be doing. Mangahigh is also good because the students can message the teacher for help as well.

*Thinking Skills- Thinking skills would be a 3. It is higher order thinking then the math curriculum we are currently using. It can be a bit more for my students to interpret, but overall they seem to adapt to it well. It tends to put skills in different ways of thinking and I really like that for my students.

This is the rubric I used: rubric

I encourage you to try it for yourself if you are looking for a new math website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment